Metal spinning, also known as chipless spinning, flow forming technology, spin forming or spinning, is metal working process by which a disc or tube of metal is rotated at high speed and formed into an axially symmetric part. Spinning can be performed by hand or by a CNC lathe or special purpose machines.
Metal spinning ranges from an artisan's specialty to the most advantageous way to form round metal parts for commercial applications. Artisans use the process to produce architectural detail, specialty lighting, decorative household goods and urns. Commercial applications include rocket nose cones, cookware, gas cylinders, brass instrument bells, and public waste receptacles. Virtually any ductile metal may be formed, from aluminum or stainless steel, to high-strength, high-temperature alloys. The diameter and depth of formed parts are limited only by the size of the equipment available.
The procedure of metal spinning is as follows
- Blank clamped between spinning chuck and tailstock
- Main spindle turns the blank
- Adapting the material to the spinning chuck stepwise by describing an alternating curved motion to the circle.
- A finishing run finally produces desired surface quality of the work piece
To this effect we are equipped with a state of the art, CNC controlled spinning machine imported from Germany, a first of its kind in India.
We have capabilities to spin blanks of diameter up to 2.10 meters. The thickness of the material is as follows
- Aluminum approx. 10 mm
- MS Steel approx. 8 mm
- Stainless Steel approx. 6 mm
- Popular products that can be manufactured are
- Ventilators components – fan inlet rings , fan inlet cones
- Wind generator caps / cones
- Propeller hoods
- Tank bottoms
- Container ends, tank ends, compressor tank ends
- Seamless Funnels & cones
- High bay fitting reflectors
- Parabolic mirrors